Skip to main content

Year 4 - Garden?

No, I am not giving up on our garden, but if we had big life changes last year (read: baby), this year was holy moly Batman!

Short story:  We sold our house for a parking lot development.  In exchange, we were able to get a new house with less issues and a MUCH smaller yard.

Our old property was on 1/3 acre, great for space, horrible for maintaining a lawn.  So when we saw the smaller yard, we were thrilled!

See - small yard!




Until it comes to garden planning.  I have a blank slate. A small, blank slate.  Do I want to put it a garden of the same size (25x10)? Something smaller?  Raised beds or in the ground?

The answer?  I have no clue.  I think I want to hire a landscaper in the near future to help us come up with a general plan for the whole property that we can slowly work on for the next few years.

This summer I might try my hand at some container gardening and just throwing some zucchini seeds in the ground to see what happens.  You can grow those anywhere right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Review of Smart Gardener

My good friend introduced me to Smart Gardener via Pinterest .  The description was something along the lines of, "this site plans your garden for you."  As a new gardener, I was skeptical.  Sounds a little too good to be true, but I checked it out anyways. At first I was enamored.  It allows for garden planning in 4 steps: 1.  Layout your garden - you are able to choose the square footage of an in-ground garden, or choose from a variety of containers/raised beds.  Cool! 2. Select your plants - this is limited by season, and you cannot mix cool weather and warm weather vegetables.  Not cool!  Varieties of vegetables are also limited if you are looking for something specific, but you can add them manually. 3. View your plan - you get a little image with your selected plants on it, plus the space they require in your garden (square footage), planting depths, seed spacing, plant dimensions, and what to plant next to each other or not (F...

Plant Problem #1: Zucchini

So I guess now that our garden has moved passed the infancy stage, we are starting to notice some issues as everyone is getting bigger. I had a mild heart attack taking a closer look at my zucchini this weekend.  Mainly this: Can you see that gnarly baby zucchini.  What the hell is that?? Called grandpa (duh), he said it just didn't pollinate correctly - trim off and move on.  So I did.  Here is close-up grossness. Otherwise, our zucchinis are looking beautiful.  I've been admiring all the blossoms and wondering if I should try and cook them.  I've seen it done on Chopped after all....   I hope that I'm complaining about how much zucchini I have in a couple of months, desperately trying to pawn it off on poor saps.  My poor parents - they are going to get it from me AND grandpa!

Dear April - You Suck

Today was supposed to be the day Winter Storm Walda dumped 6-12 inches of snow on us.  Schools closed down the night before.  I brought work home to work from home.  The day before major storm, I wrestled with the idea of putting some sort of cover on the ground to protect what we've planted.  My husband jury-rigged one of those big blue tarps, just in case. After talking to some work people and my grandpa, I was told to not tarp.  The snow would be all the insulation everything needed to survive.  I called my husband.  He already put the tarp down. I asked him to take it up.  He did.  All on the same day he had a root canal.  Who feels like the worse wife ever?  Me. Then guess what happens? Absolutely nothing.  Those 6-12 inches became a dusting with a lot of wind, but not much else.  So the next debate happened.  Should we tarp now?  Grandpa said yes, not gonna hurt it.  Husband said no, that the tarp ...