Skip to main content

My Little Review of Smart Gardener

My good friend introduced me to Smart Gardener via Pinterest.  The description was something along the lines of, "this site plans your garden for you."  As a new gardener, I was skeptical.  Sounds a little too good to be true, but I checked it out anyways.




At first I was enamored.  It allows for garden planning in 4 steps:

1.  Layout your garden - you are able to choose the square footage of an in-ground garden, or choose from a variety of containers/raised beds.  Cool!

2. Select your plants - this is limited by season, and you cannot mix cool weather and warm weather vegetables.  Not cool!  Varieties of vegetables are also limited if you are looking for something specific, but you can add them manually.

3. View your plan - you get a little image with your selected plants on it, plus the space they require in your garden (square footage), planting depths, seed spacing, plant dimensions, and what to plant next to each other or not (FYI: parsnips hate everyone).  They will also recommend plant layouts for you.  Cool! 

Here is what my Spring/Summer 2013 Garden Plan looks like (my layout, not the recommended one):


*You will notice on the left sidebar all the cool little infos about the Celebrity tomato plant.

4. Receive weekly To Dos:  once you are all mapped out, the system will generate your To Do list and you can add notes and start a journal for garden. Would-be-cool if I could integrate my cools and warms.

Overall, I liked Smart Gardener, but my inability to mix cool and warm veggies on one garden plan, and subsequently on the to do list, bothered me.  Lastly, I stated in my veggie preference that I wanted to grow winter squash, but the system never gave me the ability to add it.  I suspect there are ways around this or a fix, but I just haven't tinkered around enough to figure it out. 

I will be taking my little garden plan (with some tweaks) to the nursery think weekend as I go seed-starter shopping.  Updates to follow.  :-)



Comments

  1. This makes me even want to garden, and that's saying something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adrienne,

    Smart Gardener would like to offer your a free Smart Add On of your choice for writing a review on us. If you are interested let us know and we will add it to your account. You can reach us at support@smartgardener.com Thanks again.

    Bobby and the Smart Gardener Team

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plant Problem #1: Zucchini

So I guess now that our garden has moved passed the infancy stage, we are starting to notice some issues as everyone is getting bigger. I had a mild heart attack taking a closer look at my zucchini this weekend.  Mainly this: Can you see that gnarly baby zucchini.  What the hell is that?? Called grandpa (duh), he said it just didn't pollinate correctly - trim off and move on.  So I did.  Here is close-up grossness. Otherwise, our zucchinis are looking beautiful.  I've been admiring all the blossoms and wondering if I should try and cook them.  I've seen it done on Chopped after all....   I hope that I'm complaining about how much zucchini I have in a couple of months, desperately trying to pawn it off on poor saps.  My poor parents - they are going to get it from me AND grandpa!

Dear April - You Suck

Today was supposed to be the day Winter Storm Walda dumped 6-12 inches of snow on us.  Schools closed down the night before.  I brought work home to work from home.  The day before major storm, I wrestled with the idea of putting some sort of cover on the ground to protect what we've planted.  My husband jury-rigged one of those big blue tarps, just in case. After talking to some work people and my grandpa, I was told to not tarp.  The snow would be all the insulation everything needed to survive.  I called my husband.  He already put the tarp down. I asked him to take it up.  He did.  All on the same day he had a root canal.  Who feels like the worse wife ever?  Me. Then guess what happens? Absolutely nothing.  Those 6-12 inches became a dusting with a lot of wind, but not much else.  So the next debate happened.  Should we tarp now?  Grandpa said yes, not gonna hurt it.  Husband said no, that the tarp ...