Skip to main content

Garden Fence - Part 1

If you happen to live in the Denver area, you know we have plenty of bunnies.  These bunnies:



Which on my cute, let's-make-baby-sounds-days, I like to call bun-buns.  As a matter a fact, we found abandoned baby bunnies in our yard last year, despite our best efforts at bunny-proofing.

Outside of the baby bunny incident, we had no bunny impresses last summer.  Winter hit and bam, bunny tracks.  My husband located our vulnerabilities and is currently fixing spots in the overall fence to prevent bunny impress (yes, I love the word impress, I just imagine little bunny spies).

On top of bunnies, we have the aforementioned dogs (aka da babies).  I can just see them lovingly digging up tomato plants now.

My husband and I have been discussing (read: arguing) about the fence for a while now.  I want something nice looking, but also cheap, which doesn't exactly go together.  I also have no conceptual idea of what building a fence entails.  I tell my husband to do cheap and pretty and he spends hours trying to tell me how that is not going to happen.  I just look at him blankly, like he's speaking Klingon.

Hubby, being the industrious man that he is, surprised me with this about a week ago:

 Disregard that hole.  That's a whole other bit of weirdness.  The fence looks awesome right!?  He took some cheap pickets we had left over from fence repairs last summer, and used some rebar for support.  We had the rebar laying around thanks to the weirdo that lived in the house before us. 

You can see it a bit better in the next picture.





I love it when he finds ways to "make it work."  Granted, we need to buy more supplies and it will probably get more expensive than we want, but it's just a painful necessity.  If we have any hope of growing an actual veggie, we need to keep the critters out.  Natural or domestic.  Hubby will be finishing up the fence in the next week or two, including the ever-important chicken wire.  I'll post the finished product when I can.

And then, on top of that awesome, I came home to this last night.


It's a gate. A real pretty gate with a quaint little latch and everything.  My husband knows how to spoil me.  

In other news, my awesome grandpa came up today and tilled in some more sheep n' peat today, just to get it all ready.  Let it be known, I love my family.  They rock.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Review of Smart Gardener

My good friend introduced me to Smart Gardener via Pinterest .  The description was something along the lines of, "this site plans your garden for you."  As a new gardener, I was skeptical.  Sounds a little too good to be true, but I checked it out anyways. At first I was enamored.  It allows for garden planning in 4 steps: 1.  Layout your garden - you are able to choose the square footage of an in-ground garden, or choose from a variety of containers/raised beds.  Cool! 2. Select your plants - this is limited by season, and you cannot mix cool weather and warm weather vegetables.  Not cool!  Varieties of vegetables are also limited if you are looking for something specific, but you can add them manually. 3. View your plan - you get a little image with your selected plants on it, plus the space they require in your garden (square footage), planting depths, seed spacing, plant dimensions, and what to plant next to each other or not (F...

Plant Problem #1: Zucchini

So I guess now that our garden has moved passed the infancy stage, we are starting to notice some issues as everyone is getting bigger. I had a mild heart attack taking a closer look at my zucchini this weekend.  Mainly this: Can you see that gnarly baby zucchini.  What the hell is that?? Called grandpa (duh), he said it just didn't pollinate correctly - trim off and move on.  So I did.  Here is close-up grossness. Otherwise, our zucchinis are looking beautiful.  I've been admiring all the blossoms and wondering if I should try and cook them.  I've seen it done on Chopped after all....   I hope that I'm complaining about how much zucchini I have in a couple of months, desperately trying to pawn it off on poor saps.  My poor parents - they are going to get it from me AND grandpa!

Dear April - You Suck

Today was supposed to be the day Winter Storm Walda dumped 6-12 inches of snow on us.  Schools closed down the night before.  I brought work home to work from home.  The day before major storm, I wrestled with the idea of putting some sort of cover on the ground to protect what we've planted.  My husband jury-rigged one of those big blue tarps, just in case. After talking to some work people and my grandpa, I was told to not tarp.  The snow would be all the insulation everything needed to survive.  I called my husband.  He already put the tarp down. I asked him to take it up.  He did.  All on the same day he had a root canal.  Who feels like the worse wife ever?  Me. Then guess what happens? Absolutely nothing.  Those 6-12 inches became a dusting with a lot of wind, but not much else.  So the next debate happened.  Should we tarp now?  Grandpa said yes, not gonna hurt it.  Husband said no, that the tarp ...