Skip to main content

Winter and First Year Reflections

Hmm, no post since September.  I wonder why? Oh yeah, because our garden looks like this:



We got an early cold front.  Well, maybe not early, I have no idea.  It was cold enough that I ripped out our tomatoes, and between that and the mildew, the garden was toast.

Lessons Learned?  Where to start.

Good Things:
-We ate out of our garden.  I told myself I'd be happy if I got onions and zucchini.  We did.  We even got small amounts of lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, watermelon, pumpkin, and spaghetti squash (the pumpkin and spaghetti squash didn't get eaten by us...whole other story).

-I have a newer found respect for farmers.  I always knew farmers work hard to fill our grocery store and fridges, but I really feel, and I'm sorry if this is snobby, until you do it yourself you really don't know just how hard it is.  Especially organic.  The fact we ever even survived as a species boggles my mind at this point.  Mildew decimated our garden this year.  I have a grocery store back up, we didn't need our garden to survive.  What happens when you do?  I feel this is a situation we've long forgot about with the comforts of grocery stores.  A grocery store is a luxury, plain and simple.  Don't take it for granted.  And don't take farmers for granted.  If all farmers just disappeared, we'd die people.  


The Ugly:
-The unforeseen circumstances.  I didn't anticipate squirrels, much less rats, eating away my only decent tomatoes.  Certainly didn't plan for mildew spreading over almost my entire garden.  You know what I worried about before we started: aphids, birds, and the tomatoes even growing or having blossom end rot, which some did.

-Dealing with those circumstances.  Expensive organic aphid killers, neem oil (which burnt the crap out of everything it touched), killing rats, and killing a squirrel.  No, we did not have $50 for humane traps.  Maybe we will next year.  This year we had rat traps and a borrowed air gun.  My husband built one humane trap, which DID work, but caught a rat.  No, I wasn't going to release a rat into a new home. Sorry folks, I like squirrels to a point, but rats just have to go.   If anyone has any suggestions for dealing with critters, I'm all ears.

-Expense.  I do not even want to add up our expenses this year.  Now, most of those are one-time expenses.  Garden fence, trellises, drip system.  So I know next year will be better, but I really just had no clue about the time and expense to build stuff.  My husband did, but I certainly didn't listen very much.  It was my dream, and he made it happen, like he so often does. 

Next steps?  I have more writing and planning to do.  I took a couple months off to work on other side projects, as life is actually calming down for me now (in the middle of the holiday season no less!), I am turning my attention to next year.  Expanding our garden space, amending the soil, and dealing with the to compost or not to compost question.  So more garden reflections will be posted.  For my imaginary audience. :-)



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Review of Smart Gardener

My good friend introduced me to Smart Gardener via Pinterest .  The description was something along the lines of, "this site plans your garden for you."  As a new gardener, I was skeptical.  Sounds a little too good to be true, but I checked it out anyways. At first I was enamored.  It allows for garden planning in 4 steps: 1.  Layout your garden - you are able to choose the square footage of an in-ground garden, or choose from a variety of containers/raised beds.  Cool! 2. Select your plants - this is limited by season, and you cannot mix cool weather and warm weather vegetables.  Not cool!  Varieties of vegetables are also limited if you are looking for something specific, but you can add them manually. 3. View your plan - you get a little image with your selected plants on it, plus the space they require in your garden (square footage), planting depths, seed spacing, plant dimensions, and what to plant next to each other or not (F...

Plant Problem #1: Zucchini

So I guess now that our garden has moved passed the infancy stage, we are starting to notice some issues as everyone is getting bigger. I had a mild heart attack taking a closer look at my zucchini this weekend.  Mainly this: Can you see that gnarly baby zucchini.  What the hell is that?? Called grandpa (duh), he said it just didn't pollinate correctly - trim off and move on.  So I did.  Here is close-up grossness. Otherwise, our zucchinis are looking beautiful.  I've been admiring all the blossoms and wondering if I should try and cook them.  I've seen it done on Chopped after all....   I hope that I'm complaining about how much zucchini I have in a couple of months, desperately trying to pawn it off on poor saps.  My poor parents - they are going to get it from me AND grandpa!

Dear April - You Suck

Today was supposed to be the day Winter Storm Walda dumped 6-12 inches of snow on us.  Schools closed down the night before.  I brought work home to work from home.  The day before major storm, I wrestled with the idea of putting some sort of cover on the ground to protect what we've planted.  My husband jury-rigged one of those big blue tarps, just in case. After talking to some work people and my grandpa, I was told to not tarp.  The snow would be all the insulation everything needed to survive.  I called my husband.  He already put the tarp down. I asked him to take it up.  He did.  All on the same day he had a root canal.  Who feels like the worse wife ever?  Me. Then guess what happens? Absolutely nothing.  Those 6-12 inches became a dusting with a lot of wind, but not much else.  So the next debate happened.  Should we tarp now?  Grandpa said yes, not gonna hurt it.  Husband said no, that the tarp ...