Skip to main content

Potatoes - How did the Irish do it!?

Our personal history with trying to grow potatoes:

3 years ago - Husband and I have attempted potatoes on the deck of our apartment in a plastic "pot" type thingy we found at the nursery.  Nothing. 

2 years ago - The first year with the garden, we tried them in a felt container that was sold as a potato growing kit from Tagawa.  Hilling (see video below) potatoes in a flexible felt "pot" was a challenge.  Again, nada.



1 year ago - Put potato cages outside of the garden. Great concept, but this pregnant lady did not have the time, resources, or inclination to hill.  Also realized potato greens are technically poisonous to animals.  Violently pulled them out, pissed off husband, pissed off pregnant lady.

You are caught up to now.  While I'm not as excited about the prospect of potatoes, hubby is, so I'm trying to do some due diligence and figure out how to make these bad boys grow dammit.

Step 1.  I'm going to have a supply of hilling dirt at the ready.  I talked to some random dudes at O'Toole's Garden Center and they made some dirt recommendations.  Went with a 1:1 of compost and topsoil.  Bags are by the potato cages.

Step 2.  I have wire cages that serve as my potato habitat.  For animal safety, these need to be covered with something to prevent dog-poisonous potato contact.  I was thinking plastic, but dropped that idea because potatoes apparently like cooler temperatures, which is a perfect segway into what I call.

What the heck potato?! The Irish grew you, how complicated can you be?!  Apparently the answer is very.  VERY.

Problem 1.  Potatoes do not like temperatures above 90.  Ok, this makes sense for why Ireland working well right?  Unfortunately, Colorado does experience temps over 90, not for months on end, but here and there.  The garden is also in a very sunny spot, which does not help with that temperate thing. However, they can't be planted in ground that is less than 45 degrees.  Potatoes are Goldilocks apparently.  Not too warm, not too cold.

Problem 2.  Potatoes need good irrigation.  Too much water rots the potato, too little and they don't grow. Unfortunately, I meant to get the potatoes in the ground several weeks ago, but guess what?  It's been raining every day for like 2-3 weeks, so I've held off.  Now, this upcoming week, we are expecting temperatures in the 80s.  So that's fun.

Problem 3.  Potatoes are susceptible to various different plant plagues/bugs.  Will put powdered fungicide on seed potatoes in hope of preventing plagues.  We'll handle bugs if and when they occur.  So far I haven't seen anything but aphids in our garden. 

I hope to get them in the ground this week, along with everything else.  The next post will be one long "this is what I planted" journal post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Review of Smart Gardener

My good friend introduced me to Smart Gardener via Pinterest .  The description was something along the lines of, "this site plans your garden for you."  As a new gardener, I was skeptical.  Sounds a little too good to be true, but I checked it out anyways. At first I was enamored.  It allows for garden planning in 4 steps: 1.  Layout your garden - you are able to choose the square footage of an in-ground garden, or choose from a variety of containers/raised beds.  Cool! 2. Select your plants - this is limited by season, and you cannot mix cool weather and warm weather vegetables.  Not cool!  Varieties of vegetables are also limited if you are looking for something specific, but you can add them manually. 3. View your plan - you get a little image with your selected plants on it, plus the space they require in your garden (square footage), planting depths, seed spacing, plant dimensions, and what to plant next to each other or not (F...

Plant Problem #1: Zucchini

So I guess now that our garden has moved passed the infancy stage, we are starting to notice some issues as everyone is getting bigger. I had a mild heart attack taking a closer look at my zucchini this weekend.  Mainly this: Can you see that gnarly baby zucchini.  What the hell is that?? Called grandpa (duh), he said it just didn't pollinate correctly - trim off and move on.  So I did.  Here is close-up grossness. Otherwise, our zucchinis are looking beautiful.  I've been admiring all the blossoms and wondering if I should try and cook them.  I've seen it done on Chopped after all....   I hope that I'm complaining about how much zucchini I have in a couple of months, desperately trying to pawn it off on poor saps.  My poor parents - they are going to get it from me AND grandpa!

Dear April - You Suck

Today was supposed to be the day Winter Storm Walda dumped 6-12 inches of snow on us.  Schools closed down the night before.  I brought work home to work from home.  The day before major storm, I wrestled with the idea of putting some sort of cover on the ground to protect what we've planted.  My husband jury-rigged one of those big blue tarps, just in case. After talking to some work people and my grandpa, I was told to not tarp.  The snow would be all the insulation everything needed to survive.  I called my husband.  He already put the tarp down. I asked him to take it up.  He did.  All on the same day he had a root canal.  Who feels like the worse wife ever?  Me. Then guess what happens? Absolutely nothing.  Those 6-12 inches became a dusting with a lot of wind, but not much else.  So the next debate happened.  Should we tarp now?  Grandpa said yes, not gonna hurt it.  Husband said no, that the tarp ...