Skip to main content

We Have a Plan People...Kinda...Sorta

As Spring approaches, I've been toying with garden ideas for our new home.  If you recall, we have this weird "garden" around our A/C that I wanted to utilize somehow, but it seems dirty to plant vegetables in the ground around an A/C unit.

Space last summer:  


Ick.  No thank you.  We removed all the plants and awful split rail fence.

So I started casually looking for some raised beds like this bad boy here:


This bed, from Amazon.com, runs $180.  I asked my husband if he thought we could build it for cheaper, not thinking too much of it at the time.  Until I came home from a girl's day out to this:



Obviously this is horrible lighting and it's not quite finished, but you get the idea.

Then he built another larger, deeper bed for tomatoes:
 


So right now, the larger bed is in place, and the smaller bed is waiting to be leveled in, but those pesky strawberry plants are in the way....
















View from front (please ignore shadow, covered patio is to the left):


 Now, in the background toward the right you can see some strawberry beds:






Our hope is to transplant the thriving strawberries to this new home in Spring, then put the smaller raised bed in their place, to the right of the A/C unit.  I spent this weekend removing two bushes from this spot, so now all we have to do is move a shitton of rock and level out the ground so they are flat.  I plan to attempt the strawberries, but also use one of these for lettuce and herbs.

Lastly, we removed a crappy flower bed last fall that was on the fence adjacent to these beds, so there is a small dirt pile ready for planting (roughly 4x10?).  However, I'm worried that the fence might cast too much of a shadow, so I'm going to do a shadow experiment (catalogue when the bed is in shadow or full light by time of day, fancy I know).  I also want to test the soil, since that was something we never did in our old house and I feel it might be worthwhile.  1. Make sure there is nothing scary in the dirt (read: lead) and, 2. Know what soil amendments it might need.


Current To Do's:


  1. Move rock - level beds
  2. Buy a ton of soil
  3. Move strawberry plants to new home
  4. Soil testing



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Review of Smart Gardener

My good friend introduced me to Smart Gardener via Pinterest .  The description was something along the lines of, "this site plans your garden for you."  As a new gardener, I was skeptical.  Sounds a little too good to be true, but I checked it out anyways. At first I was enamored.  It allows for garden planning in 4 steps: 1.  Layout your garden - you are able to choose the square footage of an in-ground garden, or choose from a variety of containers/raised beds.  Cool! 2. Select your plants - this is limited by season, and you cannot mix cool weather and warm weather vegetables.  Not cool!  Varieties of vegetables are also limited if you are looking for something specific, but you can add them manually. 3. View your plan - you get a little image with your selected plants on it, plus the space they require in your garden (square footage), planting depths, seed spacing, plant dimensions, and what to plant next to each other or not (F...

Plant Problem #1: Zucchini

So I guess now that our garden has moved passed the infancy stage, we are starting to notice some issues as everyone is getting bigger. I had a mild heart attack taking a closer look at my zucchini this weekend.  Mainly this: Can you see that gnarly baby zucchini.  What the hell is that?? Called grandpa (duh), he said it just didn't pollinate correctly - trim off and move on.  So I did.  Here is close-up grossness. Otherwise, our zucchinis are looking beautiful.  I've been admiring all the blossoms and wondering if I should try and cook them.  I've seen it done on Chopped after all....   I hope that I'm complaining about how much zucchini I have in a couple of months, desperately trying to pawn it off on poor saps.  My poor parents - they are going to get it from me AND grandpa!

Dear April - You Suck

Today was supposed to be the day Winter Storm Walda dumped 6-12 inches of snow on us.  Schools closed down the night before.  I brought work home to work from home.  The day before major storm, I wrestled with the idea of putting some sort of cover on the ground to protect what we've planted.  My husband jury-rigged one of those big blue tarps, just in case. After talking to some work people and my grandpa, I was told to not tarp.  The snow would be all the insulation everything needed to survive.  I called my husband.  He already put the tarp down. I asked him to take it up.  He did.  All on the same day he had a root canal.  Who feels like the worse wife ever?  Me. Then guess what happens? Absolutely nothing.  Those 6-12 inches became a dusting with a lot of wind, but not much else.  So the next debate happened.  Should we tarp now?  Grandpa said yes, not gonna hurt it.  Husband said no, that the tarp ...