Skip to main content

Mr. Stump - On Fire and General Panic

I expect to be planting in the garden tomorrow (onions, asparagus, potatoes) and getting our cucumber trellises out.  Yes, there will be lots of updates next week.

With all that action planned for tomorrow I thought last night might be a good time to take care of Mr. Stump.

Remember Mr. Stump?



I marched back there, lighter in tow and tried to set him on fire.  It didn't work well.  Hubby then added lighter fluid.  Better. 

We have fire.





And then the fire died out, after like 3 minutes.  Hubby then started digging.  He was all, "I got this."


I watched my husband dig around the stump, use an ax on the stump, use a sledgehammer on the stump.  I watched him for roughly 20 minutes.  While he was doing that, I was clearing out some grass he threw in the garden ::gasp:: and started to notice something.

Our soil is supposed to be clay-y.  Ok, not supposed to be, it is.  But it wasn't until hubby started digging in it, and leaving chunks of grass in the garden until I realized just how  clay-y.

I'm pretty confident I could mold this soil, take it to a kiln, and have a freakin' ceramic pot.  

I have officially entered panic mode.  What if nothing grows???  We have a nice layer of sheep and peat tilled in, but still.  What if nothing grows???

I'm off to find a corner and curl into a fetal position, but before I do that - after an hour of hard work, hubby got the stump out.  He held it triumphantly over his head.  I didn't have my phone, so no picture and I really didn't have the heart to make him pose.

Panic.

Comments

  1. My hubby says Revive (a soil amendment sold at Home depot) is specifically for amending clay soil. Don't panic. I am sure your grandfather will make things grow in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put revive on the whole lawn last fall. Probably do another round soon for the yard. Cary put some soil activator on the garden so here is to hoping. Grandpa came up today and looked at the garden. He says we might not get much this year, put the soil will get better as we continue to plant. So I guess all we can do is wait and see. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Review of Smart Gardener

My good friend introduced me to Smart Gardener via Pinterest .  The description was something along the lines of, "this site plans your garden for you."  As a new gardener, I was skeptical.  Sounds a little too good to be true, but I checked it out anyways. At first I was enamored.  It allows for garden planning in 4 steps: 1.  Layout your garden - you are able to choose the square footage of an in-ground garden, or choose from a variety of containers/raised beds.  Cool! 2. Select your plants - this is limited by season, and you cannot mix cool weather and warm weather vegetables.  Not cool!  Varieties of vegetables are also limited if you are looking for something specific, but you can add them manually. 3. View your plan - you get a little image with your selected plants on it, plus the space they require in your garden (square footage), planting depths, seed spacing, plant dimensions, and what to plant next to each other or not (F...

Plant Problem #1: Zucchini

So I guess now that our garden has moved passed the infancy stage, we are starting to notice some issues as everyone is getting bigger. I had a mild heart attack taking a closer look at my zucchini this weekend.  Mainly this: Can you see that gnarly baby zucchini.  What the hell is that?? Called grandpa (duh), he said it just didn't pollinate correctly - trim off and move on.  So I did.  Here is close-up grossness. Otherwise, our zucchinis are looking beautiful.  I've been admiring all the blossoms and wondering if I should try and cook them.  I've seen it done on Chopped after all....   I hope that I'm complaining about how much zucchini I have in a couple of months, desperately trying to pawn it off on poor saps.  My poor parents - they are going to get it from me AND grandpa!

Dear April - You Suck

Today was supposed to be the day Winter Storm Walda dumped 6-12 inches of snow on us.  Schools closed down the night before.  I brought work home to work from home.  The day before major storm, I wrestled with the idea of putting some sort of cover on the ground to protect what we've planted.  My husband jury-rigged one of those big blue tarps, just in case. After talking to some work people and my grandpa, I was told to not tarp.  The snow would be all the insulation everything needed to survive.  I called my husband.  He already put the tarp down. I asked him to take it up.  He did.  All on the same day he had a root canal.  Who feels like the worse wife ever?  Me. Then guess what happens? Absolutely nothing.  Those 6-12 inches became a dusting with a lot of wind, but not much else.  So the next debate happened.  Should we tarp now?  Grandpa said yes, not gonna hurt it.  Husband said no, that the tarp ...