Skip to main content

The "Joys" of Home Ownership - Drainage

This technically is not a garden post.  It's April, it's snowing right now as I type.  We are supposed to have record lows this week.  Maybe my onions won't survive after all.  So far, they have survived!

While the garden is a big part of our outdoor living experience, we have lots of other stuff going on around our 1/3 acre (well, little less, there is a house on it). One of our MAJOR projects for the year is drainage.  Woo.

What is drainage? Hell if I know.  Kidding.  I do, it's just that it's so boring.

When you live in a place like Colorado, where there are basements, you have to make sure you have adequate draining around your house or all sorts of disasters can happen:

1. Foundation cracks - check
2. Pooling water in yard - check
3. Water leaking into basement
4. Other horrible expensive things

Let me give you a brief tour of what bad drainage looks like/leads to.

Exhibit A:  When you don't have a slope of dirt at a downward angle AWAY from the house (read: settled, flat dirt), water doesn't have a good place to go.  Except down, right next to the foundation.

Exhibit B:  If you are ever house hunting, what you see below is not optimal.  The previous owner, who was totally crazy (seriously, we have stories that shouldn't be shared with the public), did the cheap stopgap measure - attached a long tube and put it out in the yard away from the settled dirt and foundation.



Exhibit C:  And here is your end result.  Bad drainage = foundation crack.  Before you say, "Geez Adrienne, why did you even buy this dump?"  Let me explain.  First, we were concerned about the crack.  We had a structural engineer come out.  Since purchase, concrete guys and drainage guys have all looked at the crack.  Guess what? For a house built in 1964 and in Colorado, it's very, very common.  Furthermore, the crack is located right where the rebar is placed - again - very common crack.  Could we do nothing and the house will more than likely be fine for years to come? Sure.  But we are responsible home owners and we do not want to have something get worse because we were too lazy and cheap to take care of it.  We also hope to finish the basement some day.  So we want to make sure our foundation is in tip top shape. 

So our #1 priority, pretty much since we moved in, was to get the drainage fixed.  We have hired a contractor that will let us do some of the work ourselves and will then come out and do the professional install + let us help. 

It's a lot, but peace of mind is soooo worth it.  At least that's what I keep telling me.

So in coming weeks, I'll be chronically our journey of digging trenches, getting supplies, and putting in our awesome french drains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Review of Smart Gardener

My good friend introduced me to Smart Gardener via Pinterest .  The description was something along the lines of, "this site plans your garden for you."  As a new gardener, I was skeptical.  Sounds a little too good to be true, but I checked it out anyways. At first I was enamored.  It allows for garden planning in 4 steps: 1.  Layout your garden - you are able to choose the square footage of an in-ground garden, or choose from a variety of containers/raised beds.  Cool! 2. Select your plants - this is limited by season, and you cannot mix cool weather and warm weather vegetables.  Not cool!  Varieties of vegetables are also limited if you are looking for something specific, but you can add them manually. 3. View your plan - you get a little image with your selected plants on it, plus the space they require in your garden (square footage), planting depths, seed spacing, plant dimensions, and what to plant next to each other or not (F...

Plant Problem #1: Zucchini

So I guess now that our garden has moved passed the infancy stage, we are starting to notice some issues as everyone is getting bigger. I had a mild heart attack taking a closer look at my zucchini this weekend.  Mainly this: Can you see that gnarly baby zucchini.  What the hell is that?? Called grandpa (duh), he said it just didn't pollinate correctly - trim off and move on.  So I did.  Here is close-up grossness. Otherwise, our zucchinis are looking beautiful.  I've been admiring all the blossoms and wondering if I should try and cook them.  I've seen it done on Chopped after all....   I hope that I'm complaining about how much zucchini I have in a couple of months, desperately trying to pawn it off on poor saps.  My poor parents - they are going to get it from me AND grandpa!

Dear April - You Suck

Today was supposed to be the day Winter Storm Walda dumped 6-12 inches of snow on us.  Schools closed down the night before.  I brought work home to work from home.  The day before major storm, I wrestled with the idea of putting some sort of cover on the ground to protect what we've planted.  My husband jury-rigged one of those big blue tarps, just in case. After talking to some work people and my grandpa, I was told to not tarp.  The snow would be all the insulation everything needed to survive.  I called my husband.  He already put the tarp down. I asked him to take it up.  He did.  All on the same day he had a root canal.  Who feels like the worse wife ever?  Me. Then guess what happens? Absolutely nothing.  Those 6-12 inches became a dusting with a lot of wind, but not much else.  So the next debate happened.  Should we tarp now?  Grandpa said yes, not gonna hurt it.  Husband said no, that the tarp ...